Re: repeated font errors: encodings.dir missing

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 10:38:55AM +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:
> The error they experience is this:
>
> Starting Xprint servers
> /etc/init.d/xprint: ## WARNING: Can't find "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/encodings/encodings.dir", TrueType font support disabled.
>
> and when they check, they find that
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/encodings/encodings.dir is indeed missing. Which
> as I said prevents Xprt from starting.
>
> But this encodings.dir comes from xfonts-base and has nothing to do
> (directly) with xprint-xprintorg.  It got deleted somehow, no one seems to
> be able to say why, and I can't reproduce the situation.  The short term fix
> for them is, of course, to reinstall xfonts-base.
>
> But since the problem has arisen on multiple occasions for different users,
> it'd be worth figuring out what's going on. Are you able to say if other
> XFree86 users have experienced the same missing encodings.dir?

I hear about this once in a great while.

I suggest that affected people set the immutable flag on the file[1] after
reinstalling xfonts-base.  That way maybe the mysterious something that
is trying to destroy it will throw an error when its assassination
attempt fails.

Of course, the flag will have to be removed *during* upgrades of
xfonts-base.

[1] man chattr

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Those who fail to remember the laws
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    of science are condemned to