repeated font errors: encodings.dir missing

Dear Debian-X,

a surprising number of my Xprint users have reported the same bug, that an
encodings.dir is missing, which stops Xprt from starting. They reported it
against xprint-xprintorg in bugs #189039, #196365, (see for instance,
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=189039) since that's the
context in which they experienced the problem, but I can't see how Xprint
could be the cause.

The error they experience is this:

Starting Xprint servers
/etc/init.d/xprint: ## WARNING: Can't find "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/encodings/encodings.dir", TrueType font support disabled.

and when they check, they find that
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/encodings/encodings.dir is indeed missing. Which
as I said prevents Xprt from starting.

But this encodings.dir comes from xfonts-base and has nothing to do
(directly) with xprint-xprintorg.  It got deleted somehow, no one seems to
be able to say why, and I can't reproduce the situation.  The short term fix
for them is, of course, to reinstall xfonts-base.

But since the problem has arisen on multiple occasions for different users,
it'd be worth figuring out what's going on. Are you able to say if other
XFree86 users have experienced the same missing encodings.dir?

Drew

p.s. please CC: me, I'm not currently subscribed to this list.

--
PGP public key available at http://people.debian.org/~dparsons/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A