Re: X Strike Force SVN commit: rev 555 - in branches/4.3.0/sid/debian: . patches

Branden Robinson wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 02:17:40PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
>> On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 20:36, X Strike Force SVN Admin wrote:
>> >
>> > Log:
>> > Enabling pkg-config for libX11. The main artifact is that
>> > there is now a file called /usr/lib/pkgconfig/X11.pc.
>>
>> Shouldn't we wait for an upstream decision on this?
>
> Warren, please expand on your rationale for this change.

The 017 that was in the svn was not useful to any architecture and was
baggage from prior X versions AFAICT since there is already a "depend::" in
the Imakefile in the xc/lib/X11 dir.

The 017 that was added simply adds pkg-config support for X11. This change
in no way affects the executables or libs. I think this change will be
useful to software developers. I also know that it will be helpful to my
effort at autotoolizing the X programs. Without this support for pkg-config
in place, I am unable to easily detect the location of libs such as Xrender
and set an arbitrary define via autoconf methods. With the pkg-config
support, I am supposed able to even keep portability with Cygwin relatively
easily. This is related to the xrender.pc, xcursor.pc, etc. Also, I really
do not have enough knowledge to build a fully independent autotooled libX11
at this point as has been done with xcursor, xrender, and xft.

Although I am working on repackaging libX11 with autotools, it is not done
yet. Also, it is not trivial to make the XFree86 build system use an
external libX11 even if I did. Thus, adding the X11.pc to the current build
system makes a lot of sense to me at this point.

wt
--
President, GOLUM, Inc.
http://www.golum.org