Re: Font loading extremely slow with the UTF-8 locale

#include <hallo.h>
* Branden Robinson [Sun, Jan 26 2003, 04:18:09PM]:

> > What is your problem with my attitude? As said before, my Priority are
> > Our Users and Free Software, see Social Contract. Not personal warfares,
> > no faulty decissions ruled by semi-technical (but personal) problems.
>
> This may come as a deep shock to you, but your personal opinions on how
> Debian can best serve its users and free software are not shared by
> everyone else in the project.

Hehe. If more people would agree with you more often, you would be the
DPL now. I hope this does not sound slighting.

> It is revealing that you ascribe differences of opinion to failures of
> people who disagree with you to abide by the Debian Social Contract.

Sure, everybody can say that he is right and his idea is the one that
better fits into the Social Contract. But OTOH I showed that your
failure caused a violation of it. You may be pissed and start with
personal attacks, but this is not a solution and only an ugly way to
make people shut up.

> > You still fail to see the point. If you keep a recent upstream version
> > back, you do NOT cure the problems of other ports but actually damage
> > the hardware support on mainstream architectures and so harm Debian's
> > reputation.
>
> I suggest you have a talk with the Release Manager, then.  It's his call
> to say "no new upstream versions" when we're in a freeze.

Will do, when the time comes. The gradual freeze caused more problems
then it ever should.

> You may also want to speak with the Stable Release Manager and determine
> under what circumstances he would allow a new upstream version of
> XFree86 into a point release of Debian 3.0.

Stable is Stable, and you know it. I favorize the idea of Working
Branch, but without support of RM and FTP maintainers, it is not easy to
implement it.

> > And, please, next time when you make a bad comparison, find an example
> > that is less ridiculous. Knoppix has UTF-8 fonts, and there are much
> > more non-latin1 using people than Americans may think.
>
> Irrelevant.  Is Knoppix's XFree86 4.2.1 faster at loading the UTF-8
> fonts than Debian's XFree86 4.2.1 is?  If so, I detect an opportunity
> for someone to create a patch and file a wishlist bug.  Alternatively,
> you can eschew the collaborative process altogether, switch to Knoppix
> exclusively, and tell everyone who'll listen to you to do the same.

I will try tonight and try to locate the reason if it performs better.
But comes that you are so keen on degrading the reputation of Knoppix?
Because it shipped with working modules (read: those from XFree4.2)
while Woody could not support one-year-old Geforce4 when released?

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
Daimler Benz ist es nun gelungen, fur eine Entwicklungssumme von über
einer Milliarde DM ein Auto zu entwickeln, welches sich bei Gefahr auf