Re: Font loading extremely slow with the UTF-8 locale

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 08:12:20PM +0100, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> #include <hallo.h>
> * Branden Robinson [Tue, Jan 21 2003, 01:27:13PM]:
>
> > I don't know why you expect help from this list after exhibiting the
> > attitude you did in Message-ID: <[🔎] 20030119123015.GA5750@zombie.inka.de>.
>
> What is your problem with my attitude? As said before, my Priority are
> Our Users and Free Software, see Social Contract. Not personal warfares,
> no faulty decissions ruled by semi-technical (but personal) problems.

This may come as a deep shock to you, but your personal opinions on how
Debian can best serve its users and free software are not shared by
everyone else in the project.

It is revealing that you ascribe differences of opinion to failures of
people who disagree with you to abide by the Debian Social Contract.

> You still fail to see the point. If you keep a recent upstream version
> back, you do NOT cure the problems of other ports but actually damage
> the hardware support on mainstream architectures and so harm Debian's
> reputation.

I suggest you have a talk with the Release Manager, then.  It's his call
to say "no new upstream versions" when we're in a freeze.

You may also want to speak with the Stable Release Manager and determine
under what circumstances he would allow a new upstream version of
XFree86 into a point release of Debian 3.0.

> And, please, next time when you make a bad comparison, find an example
> that is less ridiculous. Knoppix has UTF-8 fonts, and there are much
> more non-latin1 using people than Americans may think.

Irrelevant.  Is Knoppix's XFree86 4.2.1 faster at loading the UTF-8
fonts than Debian's XFree86 4.2.1 is?  If so, I detect an opportunity
for someone to create a patch and file a wishlist bug.  Alternatively,
you can eschew the collaborative process altogether, switch to Knoppix
exclusively, and tell everyone who'll listen to you to do the same.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      Mob rule isn't any prettier just
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      because you call your mob a