Re: How come X seems insistent on managing my XF86Config now?

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:

> [CCing debian-x because if I get hit by a bus or arrested by Secretary
> Ashcroft today, the following will be important for the inheritor of our
> XFree86 packages to know.]

Ah, for some reason I had trouble finding this mailing list. I poked around
/usr/share/doc/xserver-xfree86 and the xsf web pages and couldn't find any
mention of a separate mailing list. I imagine it's there and I'm just blind.

> On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 12:20:01AM -0400, Greg Stark wrote:
> > Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:
> >
> > > Just answer the questions.
> >
> > Well there seem to be a lot of them. And a lot of them don't seem to have
> > default answers. Or in some cases any reasonable answer given my setup.
>
> Actually, they all have default answers.  A few have blank default
> answers under most circumstances (like PCI bus ID and XKB variant),
> which it is safe to leave blank.

Uh, in that case something's broken. I held down the return key and it skipped
a bunch of questions but then got stuck on one. I had to choose an answer.
Then I held down the return key and it got stuck a few questions later. At
least 3-4 questions needed manual answers.

In any case I was more worried that it would touch my config file. With your
assurances I went ahead and answered the questions and there weren't nearly as
many of them as I feared.

> In the meantime, I suggest just hitting enter until the questions go
> away (if you're using the dialog frontend -- if not, do the equivalent
> for your frontend).

This was in an xterm.

--
greg