Re: SVN and Larry McVoy

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 09:21:51PM +0000, Robert Millan wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I was cluing myself on subversion for the sake of using the XSF repository
> when I stumbled on this (from http://deadbeast.net/~branden/svn_pres/2b.html)
>
>   What is Subversion?
>
>       [..]
>       * revision control system that made Larry McVoy angry
>
> I can't live without seeing a reference to this. Please tell me and win a SVN
> supporter.

Heh.  I'm about to go to bed so I am too tired to do a web search, but it
had to do with Ben Collins (our former DPL) not being able to do kernel
work using BitKeeper because Ben also does some work on Subversion, and
BitKeeper's no-charge use license forbids people from working on any
other form of revision control system.

So, Ben would have had to give up working on Subversion, give up working
on the kernel, or give Larry McVoy money.

There was an article in DWN about it; I belive I posted to
debian-devel-announce about it; and, of course, there was a fairly long
flamewar on linux-kernel about it.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     I suspect Linus wrote that in a
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     complicated way only to be able to