Re: X Strike Force SVN commit: rev 555 - in branches/4.3.0/sid/debian: . patches

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 06:13:00AM -0500, Warren Turkal wrote:
> Branden Robinson wrote:
> > Warren, please expand on your rationale for this change.
> >

> The 017 that was in the svn was not useful to any architecture and was
> baggage from prior X versions AFAICT since there is already a "depend::" in
> the Imakefile in the xc/lib/X11 dir.
>
> The 017 that was added simply adds pkg-config support for X11. This change
> in no way affects the executables or libs. I think this change will be
> useful to software developers. I also know that it will be helpful to my
> effort at autotoolizing the X programs. Without this support for pkg-config
> in place, I am unable to easily detect the location of libs such as Xrender
> and set an arbitrary define via autoconf methods. With the pkg-config
> support, I am supposed able to even keep portability with Cygwin relatively
> easily. This is related to the xrender.pc, xcursor.pc, etc. Also, I really
> do not have enough knowledge to build a fully independent autotooled libX11
> at this point as has been done with xcursor, xrender, and xft.
>
> Although I am working on repackaging libX11 with autotools, it is not done
> yet. Also, it is not trivial to make the XFree86 build system use an
> external libX11 even if I did. Thus, adding the X11.pc to the current build
> system makes a lot of sense to me at this point.

Michel, does that explanation satisfy you?  I find myself pretty neutral
about this change.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    I just wanted to see what it looked
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    like in a spotlight.