Re: Memory Leak in XFree86

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 01:34:07AM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 17:43, Jim Crumley wrote:
> >
> > So this is not just another case of looking at top and thinking that
> > X is too big.  X, or some process that it is allocating memory
> > for, is holding too much memory and it won't let it go.
>
> You may be interested in this thread:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2003/debian-powerpc-200309/msg00109.html
>
> (Maybe something about restest should be added to the FAQ?)

Well, restest tells me some more interesting info, but nothing
that helped me track this down.  In particular, none of my
clients are holding more than 5 MB of pixmaps, which seems
reasonable.

> > Which leads new that the FAQ did teach me,
> > cat /proc/$(pidof X)/maps . Unfortunately I haven't been able to
> > decipher it.
>
> http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/files/analyse-x.pl
>
> is a fun program which analyses the X server mappings and explains what
> they mean.

This program also had interesting info, but it wasn't able to
narrow things down much.  Its says that I currently have
1773522944 bytes that are anonymous private mappings.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I may try one of the other X builds
mentioned in this thread, but other than that I am not sure what
to try.

--
Jim Crumley                  |
crumley@fields.space.umn.edu |