Re: XFree86 (Knoppix) and NVidia 5200 Ultra...

(CCing debian-knoppix, debian-x, and Mark Vojkovitch).

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 09:15:42AM +0930, behoffski wrote:
> I'm using the version of Debian XFree86 contained in Knoppix 5.2
> (2007-07-26).

Hmm, interesting. Knoppix guys: do you know about XFree86 4.3.0-0pre1v1
in experimental, which is newer than my -0ds series? It's the
team-maintained version, by myself, Branden Robinson, and ISHIKAWA
Mutsumi.

> I've used this package with four identical systems containing
> NVidia FX 5200 Ultra cards (using boot parameter "xmodule=nv" to
> avoid the problem that the card's ID isn't known).  I've found
> that the operation of XFree86 is unreliable -- ome machine fails
> to start X at all -- others are flaky.
>
> I've noticed that in xfree86.org's online CVS archive, there has
> been a reworked nv module added in the last fortnight -- with
> CVS comments indicating that "Some newer GeForceFX cards have a
> new PLL design which needs to be programmed differently in order
> to get a stable display."  This comment appears to tie in very
> neatly with my observations.
>
> http://cvsweb.xfree86.org/cvsweb/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/nv/

Hmm, interesting. We've already backported the SiS and Savage drivers,
so I don't see why we couldn't pull nv back as well. OTOH, we might want
to wait for the SDK stuff - XSF?

> My main interest in this is to have a Knoppix CD that works well
> with the 5200 Ultra systems.  So two questions:
>
> 1. If I remaster the existing Knoppix CD, and merely replace the
> NV driver with an object compiled from the current CVS sources
> (nv_drv.o), what is your estimate of the likeihood of success
> (or, in other words, how compatible is this set of sources from
> the XFree86 CVS archive with the XFree86-4.3.0-ds package contained
> in Knoppix)?

Umm, it *should* work, but no guarantees.

> 2. Would it be feasible to fast-track these sources into upcoming
> XFree86-4.3.0 Debian experimental packages -- or would this be
> too much against the grain of Debian's emphasis on stable code?

Given we've already dragged back the SiS and Savage stuff, I don't see
why we couldn't drag the nVidia driver back, as ewll. Mark, how stable
is the new nv code?

--
Daniel Stone                                     <dstone@trinity.unimelb.edu.au>
Developer, Trinity College, University of Melbourne