Re: libXau in xlibs-pic?

* Branden Robinson (branden@debian.org) wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 10:20:44PM -0400, Eric Dorland wrote:
> > I've packaged XCB <http://xcb.wiki.cs.pdx.edu/>, but I was in
> > violation of policy because the shared libraries were not compiled
> > with -fPIC. I fixed that but unfortunately the lib uses libXau which
> > only comes in a static non-pic flavor. Is there any way to get a pic
> > version of libXau in xlibs-pic for the next version?
>
> If by "next version" you mean the 4.3.0 packages, yes.
>
> If you have urgent needs and if there is a 4.2.1-9 release, it should be
> feasible to get libXau into xlibs-pic.  Please let us know if this is
> the case (that is, that you have urgent needs).

Well it makes my package unbuildable on a variety of architectures so
there is a somewhat urgent need for it I suppose. So if there is a
4.2.1-9 and you could get that change in that would be
great. Otherwise I'm perfectly content to wait for 4.3.0.

> > Oh a related note, why aren't all the static libs compiled with pic
> > versions? Is libXau not to be used, or replaced by something else?
>
> The answer to your second question can be found in the package
> description of xlibs-pic.
>
> I've been adding static libraries to xlibs-pic on an as-needed basis.
> But since upstream decided to enable PIC symbols on all static libraries
> prior to the release of 4.3.0, that conservatism is no longer warranted.

Ah, thanks for the answer.

Go team X Strike Force! :)

--
Eric Dorland <eric.dorland@mail.mcgill.ca>