Re: libXau in xlibs-pic?

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 10:20:44PM -0400, Eric Dorland wrote:
> I've packaged XCB <http://xcb.wiki.cs.pdx.edu/>, but I was in
> violation of policy because the shared libraries were not compiled
> with -fPIC. I fixed that but unfortunately the lib uses libXau which
> only comes in a static non-pic flavor. Is there any way to get a pic
> version of libXau in xlibs-pic for the next version?

If by "next version" you mean the 4.3.0 packages, yes.

If you have urgent needs and if there is a 4.2.1-9 release, it should be
feasible to get libXau into xlibs-pic.  Please let us know if this is
the case (that is, that you have urgent needs).

> Oh a related note, why aren't all the static libs compiled with pic
> versions? Is libXau not to be used, or replaced by something else?

The answer to your second question can be found in the package
description of xlibs-pic.

I've been adding static libraries to xlibs-pic on an as-needed basis.
But since upstream decided to enable PIC symbols on all static libraries
prior to the release of 4.3.0, that conservatism is no longer warranted.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       The software said it required
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       Windows 3.1 or better, so I