Re: RFC: define FontLibSharedFreeType=NO

On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 11:20:01PM +0900, ISHIKAWA Mutsumi wrote:
> >> I got a report in private mail (grrr) from a person who ran into the
> >> very problem you describe, so I appreciate you tracking this down and
> >> fixing it.  Your analysis looks reasonable and I agree with your
> >> solution.
>
>  Sorry, I found my mistakes by my self.
>
>  1) PS_FontInfoRec did not change between FreeeType 2.1.3 and
>     2.1.4. It makes after FreeType 2.1.4 release (please see
>     freetype-2.1.4/debian/patches/001-freetype-2.1.4+cvs20030601.diff).

If this is true, then, FreeType maintainer: *please stop doing this*.

Debian needs to have FreeType packages that are compatible with the rest
of the world's FreeType packages.

Perhaps what we really need is a freetype-snapshot package, which ships
a libfreetype6-snapshot package which Conflicts/Replaces/Provides:
libfreetype6.  For reasons that should be obvious, there should be no
snapshot -dev package at all.

Please, please, please, I beg of you, do not break binary compatibility
in library packages.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    A celibate clergy is an especially
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    good idea, because it tends to