Re: xserver-s3 stoped working?

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 11:29:14AM +0300, Shaul Karl wrote:
> On Mon, 26 May 2003 21:57:18 +1000, Daniel Stone <dstone@kde.org> wrote:
>
> >                                                        I can't see why
> > XFree86 would suddenly start failing, though - has xfree86-v3 even been
> > updated at all lately?
>

>   I hope that due to a buggy interaction with 4.2.1-6, and/or timing
> issues or something similar. Other then the X server all my packages are
> taken from testing. That is, the xserver-s3 is also taken from testing
> but it is still the exact same package that is found in stable.
>   In any case I do hope that my problem can be solved with a more
> up to date software. I have now subscribed to devel@xfree86.org in a
> hope that I will eventually be able to patch and test the current X
> tree.
>   Another comment is that I do hope that Debian will not drop support
> for old hardware. I believe that some of the power of Linux in general
> and X in particular is that it run on many platforms. By that I mean
> not only many architectures but also old hardware that commercial
> vendors stopped supporting.

Well, the problem is not really for debian to support or not, but more
for upstream XFree86 (or the kernel, or the module writer) to continue
supporting said old and obsolet hardware. The problem, apart from a
general lack of competent developers with time, is the lack of developer
which have access to said hardware. So if you have the hardware and a
little programing knowledge, you are the best candidate to do the port
yourself, which should not be all that difficult since it already did
work for the v3 server.

As said, any question or otherwise you might have, i am ready to respond
to.

Friendly,

Sven Luther