Re: X bi-monthly snapshot packages.

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 10:46:33PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 01:42:25PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Alan Hourihane just announced a new driver only cvs module, it still
> > needs the driver SDK which is part of the main tree.
> >
> > Do you think that it would make sense to have the 4.3.0 X package
> > produce a new xfree86-sdk binary package which a driver replacement
> > package could then build-depend upon ? It would contain the result of a
> > make install.sdk.
>
> Is this functionality in 4.3 itself?

Apparently. Alan told me no distributor ships it yet though. I am
currently testing how things work from a plain upstream 4.3.0 tarball
and will inform you on the result of this. That said, the i830 driver is
broken for the SDK right now, but i guess a patch could solve that
nextly.

I can't yet build the debian package, as i lack disk space for it right
now.

> I don't want to make this change for a .0-1 release - far too major IMO.

Huh ? It is just a damn additional binary package that will make no
difference if nobody uses it, and your packages are unofficial anyway,
so what is the problem.

This would enable us to produce a driver package (which would need to
divert the official drivers or something such) from the nigthly driver
snapshots that upstream is putting in place, which would be a great
thing for our users, as it would fill the need of users with hardware
not yet supported in the last major release.

Friendly,

Sven Luther