Re: X bi-monthly snapshot packages.

debian-x@ldo, xfree86@xfree86.org, devel@xfree86.org.

> > getting your own hands dirty, checking that it actually works on all
> > architectures, not just builds, and not letting things slide (e.g.
>
> That i can difficulty do, i can have access to i386, powerpc soon, m68k
> with a bit of work, and sparc until september. Possibly mips also, but
> it is not at all sure, and anyway, the mips box doesn't has the disk
> space to build X on.

I suggest you find people with other ports.

> But i hope that there will be at least some users of the packages that
> will provide feedback if it breaks, or at least that some porters will
> try it from time to time. Or do you test your packages on all arches
> before you release a new version ?

I'm stalling the -0ds3v2 release until I can get it working on alpha,
hppa, hurd-i386, i386, ia64, powerpc, s390 and sparc.

> > It's really a full-time job, although maintaining the .99.x snapshots
> > was easier, because I didn't have to deal with the patch hell I have
> > now, with 4.3.0.
>
> My idea is to try to integrate the debian's patch as much as possible
> with the upstream ones, to work from the last good debian version by
> applying all upstream patches, instead of the other way around. As said,
> i really don't think these would be as high quality packages as
> Branden's package, at least at first, nor is that my aim.

Then it's largely useless to the XSF - the bulk of the work in migrating
to new upstream versions lies in debian/patches.

> > Well, you're really very much on your own. I personally won't put my
> > name to something I'm not involved in, let alone something I don't even
> > use, and Branden probably feels the same way.
>
> Err, i was more thinking about recomendations on what not to do based on
> your experience and such.

What not to do: start packaging X. ;)

> > If your package is of good enough quality, it'll get integrated in. It's
> > really that simple.
>
> I don't understand what you mean by integrated in.

Well, the X team will use that as a base for their future work.

> > There are only two ways you can get it built on every supported
> > architecture:
> > * Upload it to Debian.
>
> That was what i was thinking. Altough some may object to having a second
> such huge source package around.

Yes. Me, in fact.

For two reasons:
* It implies that it's supported by Debian/XSF.
* It bloats the archive further.

> > * Have one machine of every architecture, or be friends with someone who
> >   does.
>
> Highly unprobable and maybe not time efficient, as it would demand of
> these friends to do the builds by hand. Altough i guess some
> autobuilders trigger X builds by hand anyway.

Well, just throw them source packages every now and then. sbuild helps.

> > It doesn't happen any other way, unfortunately - I'm pretty sure regular
> > developers can't inject stuff into sbuilds. I personally spend a fair
> > bit of time running around on IRC and in private email talking to all
> > the porters, trying to get things built, rebuilt, patches tested,
> > getting failure reports, et al.
>
> Yes, ...
>
> But BTW, i think that, as you said, many of the problems encountered
> will be common to all three packages, yours, mine and brandens, and so
> should the fixes be also, i think.

Well, some of them. But, IME, most aren't.

> > Well, you're welcome to create them - I'd certainly be out of line to
> > attempt to prevent you doing so. I'd be interested to see how they
> > progressed as it went along, patches gradually became more difficult to
> > maintain (commenting out checksource_command is *not* the right
> > solution), etc. The key issue here is how much work you intend to put
> > in, as it's really not a part-time job.
>
> I will do that as part of my free time, so it will be a part-time job
> whatever happens, but i think it is not as difficult as you may think,
> since contrary to your and branden's package, my aim is to lower the
> quantity of needed patches by applying as much of them as i can
> upstream.

If your aim is to be an upstream patch-pusher, I wish you the best of
luck, but you can do this without making packages. David Dawes is also
notoriously hard to get patches past.

> > hinder the X team, because it means they'll have to deal with a lot more
> > questions from users, cut because they can't cleanly upgrade, or they
> > don't have a working X, or whatever.
>
> Well, i don't know, i was goign to preface the discution by a 'highly
> unstable, use at your own risk, never bother branden about them, send
> all bug reports to me' kind of thing. Not that everyone would read them.

Of course not. Some bugs about my packages still go to daniel-x.

> That said, it would be clear from the /var/log/XFree86.0.log which
> version is run, and bugreports because  /var/log/XFree86.0.log are
> not handled anyway.

You're expecting people to follow what we say and attach them?

> > [0]: The most-commented on feature of XFree86 4.3 is the cursor stuff.
>
> Well, it is broken, and upstream ships it disabled by default.
>
> BTW, can you apply this patch please to your next version of packages,
> it fixes a server crash in case you are using shadowfb and SW ARGB
> cursors adn bring the cursor to the bottom of the screen. You can name
> it as stolen from head, as it will be commited soon. You have to apply
> it in xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/shadowfb.

Applied.

--
Daniel Stone 	     <daniel@raging.dropbear.id.au>             <dstone@kde.org>
KDE: Konquering a desktop near you - http://www.kde.org