Re: xfree-4.3: disable mouse coursor shadow?

On Mit, 2003-04-09 at 14:06, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 01:28:52PM +0200, Michel D?nzer wrote:
> > On Mit, 2003-04-09 at 12:17, Christian Guggenberger wrote:
> > > this is just a minor issue:
> > > I'd like to know if it's possible to disable mouse coursor's shadow in
> > > xfree-4.3, or even better, to make the coursor behave like in previous X
> > > versions?
> >
> > That's the upstream default AFAIK, so IMHO the real question is: why do
> > the debs ship a different default, and why isn't
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/icons/default/index.theme a conffile? I had to divert
> > it to prevent it from getting clobbered on each upgrade.
>
> I thought all conffiles had to be in /etc, but I could be
> misinterpreting policy here.

As Sven pointed out (and I told you before), symlinks are your friends.

> And I ship whiteglass as a sane default because redglass just looks
> woeful IMO. But, if core is what's wanted, then I'll ship that.

I understand it's Branden's policy never to change upstream defaults
without very good reason. I think upstream ships core as default
precisely because the ARGB themes are controversial. The desktop
environments will hopefully handle cursor themes in the future for users
who want eye candy but don't want to read documentation.

> I figured I'll ship whiteglass because:
> * People who want 'core' are probably clueful enough to set the
>   resource, or whatever.

The very existence of this thread doesn't confirm that.