fixed font not required by xserver-xfree86 package

I was installing a sarge system to see if a bug was fixed, and I noticed that
the xfonts-base package is not required by xserver-xfree86. I noticed because
the Xserver wouldn't start because I had not fixed font installed. After
installing xfonts-base, I had no problems.

Is there a reason that xfonts-base isn't required? I notice that it has a lot
of different sized fixed fonts, and only one is configured as "fixed". I
imagine that any font could be aliased as "fixed". Perhaps there should be a
xfonts-fixed virtual package so that some systems could replace the bigger
xfonts-base package with their own, smaller set of fixed fonts.

Or is there another reason for xserver-xfree86 only recommending xfonts-base?

Frank