XFree86 4.2.99.4 debs

(my n+2nd attempt at sending this, the lists are severely broken. i am,
 however, heartened by the fact that murphy sent one of my mails today).

Hi all!
I've been creating XFree86 4.3 debs for a while now, as some of you
already know (you've even tested them - thanks to those who did!). With
250 lines of changelog in the last 2 releases (4.2.99.3+cvs.20030109-2
and 4.2.99.4-1), I feel it's now ready for public release. These debs
have been tested to work fine on sid/i386 and sid/powerpc; I haven't
even tested compilation on other architectures as I don't have access to
non-i386/powerpc machines (I'm not an official Developer). So, if you
could either test these debs, help in porting them to other
architectures, or backport them, I'd really appreciate it.

US mirrors:
deb http://www.penguinppc.org/~daniels/sid/$(ARCH) ./
deb-src http://www.penguinppc.org/~daniels/sid/source ./
(thanks to Ethan Benson)

deb http://capricorn.woot.net/~daniels/current/sid/$(ARCH) ./
deb-src http://capricorn.woot.net/~daniels/current/sid/source ./
(thanks to Joe "HoserHead" Drew)

deb ftp://ftp.cs.umn.edu/pub/debian-misc/daniels/xfree86/current/sid/$(ARCH) ./
deb-src ftp://ftp.cs.umn.edu/pub/debian-misc/daniels/xfree86/current/sid/source ./
(thanks to Scott "dieman" Dier)

UK mirror:
deb http://xf86-debs.mirror.positive-internet.com/sid/$(ARCH) ./
deb-src http://xf86-debs.mirror.positive-internet.com/sid/source ./
(thanks to Thom May and Positive Internet)

These debs contain 58 patches - about 13 are my own, while about 45 are
forward-ported from 4.2.1. Those that have been forward-ported have, of
cousre, been rediffed against the new sources; I haven't commented out
any checks whatsoever, such as the check to ensure all patches apply
cleanly, and with no fuzz. These debs are probably most useful to those
with Radeons (especially 9xxx cards), users with i845g cards (integrated
into some Intel motherboards, including the Dell Optiplex 260SX on my
desk), and PowerPC users with GeForce cards (like the PowerMac on my
desk with a GeForce4 MX440 in it, which didn't work until I updated to
4.2.99.x).

If you want bleeding-edge 3D, and the support sucks in my packages, see
Michael Daenzer's dri-trunk packages at
http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/; Michael packages the CVS tree of the
DRI project (http://dri.sf.net).

I'm also looking for someone who knows x86 asm and doesn't mind getting
murky. The OpenGL code to make best use of MMX and SSE is,
unfortunately, non-PIC. It's the only PIC code in OpenGL, and it's
hand-hacked asm. If anyone would be able to make this PIC-compliant, I'd
be greatly appreciative.

Here are the packages; have at it. My TODO is as follows:
 * Split xlibs{,-dev,-dbg} up - a normal, -dev and -dbg package for
   every library, plus xlibs-static for static-only libraries. xlibs,
   xlibs-dev and xlibs-dbg would probably be provided to ease the
   transition.
 * Make libGL fully PIC-compliant.
 * Backport to sarge.

The following people deserve thanks in the creation of these packages:
 * Branden Robinson (the usual XFree86 maintainer), for being around to
   answer questions, being patient, and showing me how to do stuff when
   necessary.
 * Mike A. Harris (RedHat XFree86 maintainer), for being around to
   answer questions, sharing patches, offering helpful suggestions, and
   just generally being a really cool and useful guy.
 * ISHIKAWA Mitsumi, for his XFree86 4.3 packages, which I ripped the
   forward-ported patches from.
 * Kevin Puetz, James Greenhalgh, Ross Drinkwater, and most of the rest
   of the regular #debian-kde crew for being my guinea pigs and downloading
   a staggering amount of debs, all in the name of getting it right.
 * Julien Goodwin, for lending me his HPPA, even though I couldn't get
   it installed.
 * Trinity College, my employer, for funding all this.

Cheers!
:) d

--
Daniel Stone                                     <dstone@trinity.unimelb.edu.au>
Developer, Trinity College, University of Melbourne