4.2.1-4pre5v1 crashing on Radeon

Greetings.  I have installed 4.2.1-4pre5v1 packages on x86 kernel
2.4.20 with a Radeon All-in-Wonder.  The X server is crashing when I
am away from the console, and I suspect it might be crashing in one
of the xscreensaver hacks.

The symptom is that the xserver crashes, and gdm restarts it.  I get
this totally uninformative message in the log:

syslog.0:Jan 15 15:55:21 noodles gdm[652]:
gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0
syslog.0:Jan 16 04:57:59 noodles gdm[4047]:
gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0

The output from the X server in /var/log/XFree86.0.log gets
overwritten at restart.  Is there an option I can set to append to
or rotate this log file so I don't lose the info?

Maybe the problem could be reproduced by quickly cycling through the
xscreensaver hacks.

Regards,
Jeffrey Baker (not subscribed)