Re: Debian's XFree86 4.2 and SiS vs. DRI

Michel Dänzer wrote:
Is there common code inside sis_dri.so?

Yes, the common code is part of all the code. :)

OK. (I don't consider my question that stupid :) as common code could reside in other - common - modules as well)

I assume as regards 4.3, you mean the inclusion of Mesa4, right? Well, no one of the DRI folks seems to care about the SiS driver, so this is hopeless anyway.

It's not the job of the DRI folks to maintain a driver for hardware they
don't have.

That's exactly what I have been doing for a year now. Implementing support for hardware I don't have.... (SiS 315, 550, 650, 740, etc)

I don't know of any DRI developers having any SiS hardware, and I think
this is even harder to do for 3D than it is for 2D.

No offence, it probably is. I didn't actually exspect the DRI folks to develope a new driver for yet unsupported chipsets. I just think that porting the existing SiS driver (with support for the 300 series) to Mesa4 API can't be impossible, even without the hardware. And dropping an API without some sort of compatibility layer is not an attitude I especially appreciate.

BTW: In the meantime, I have received a number of success reports for SiS-DRI with 4.2.1. These people even used a sis_dri.so binary which was compiled with Debian's source... 8:O

Thomas

--
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria