Re: Must I recompile the kernel to enable direct rendering?

On Fre, 2002-11-29 at 05:59, Yang Shouxun wrote:

> I'm using xfree86 4.2.1 on Debian unstable with an ATI Rage 128 Mobility card.
> X is configured to load "dri", "glx" and other relevant modules. The default
> depth is 24 bit. Yet "glxinfo" shows that
> ----8<----
> direct rendering: No
> OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect

The X server logfile should contain the reason. Common problems:

      * too little video RAM for DRI in depth 24 - try 16
      * the r128 driver in XFree86 4.2.x requires a relatively new
        version of the DRM which is only available in kernel 2.4.20

> Any suggestions or pointers who to enable direct rendering are welcome. Just
> don't point me to http://dri.sf.net. That site cannot be reached from here.

Why is that?