Must I recompile the kernel to enable direct rendering?

Hi,

I'm using xfree86 4.2.1 on Debian unstable with an ATI Rage 128 Mobility card.
X is configured to load "dri", "glx" and other relevant modules. The default
depth is 24 bit. Yet "glxinfo" shows that
----8<----
direct rendering: No
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect

I searched on the web for a while. There are a few reports of enabling direct
rendering. But they seem to suggest recompilation of the kernel.

I'm wondering whether kernel recompilation is required to enable direct
rendering on Debian.

Any suggestions or pointers who to enable direct rendering are welcome. Just
don't point me to http://dri.sf.net. That site cannot be reached from here.

Best!