Re: Some annoying problems with ATi Radeon 7200!

Hi again,

Michel Dänzer wrote:
>>I configed it more than one time and I can't remember that debconf asked
>>me about FBDev...
>
> Maybe it's a low priority question, otherwise it's probably autodetected
> from /proc/fb .

Could be, but my /proc/fb is empty.

>>However, I have serious problems with the dri packags:
>>I can't login anymore, there is a problem with my .xsession; from
>>.xsession-errors:
>>Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>>Xlib: Protocol not supported by server
>>
>>xrdb: Can't open display ':0'
>>
>>Should I set some permissions somewhere?
>>
>>Also, my xdm login screen looks entirely different, but I guess that is
>>normal... (It looks a lot more ugly, by the way... ;-)
>

> In the next version,
> /usr/share/doc/xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk/README.Debian will contain:
>
>   * xdm: in /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config, set
>
>     DisplayManager*authorize: false
>
> Does this help?

It seems to!

At least, I could log in now. At first I thought I did something wrong, but the xdm login screen looks normal now, not white anymore!

Anyway, there is still a big problem though, my 3D seems broken:

goemon:~> glxgears
Radeon DRI driver:
        Compatibility mode for DRM driver version 1.1.1
        TCL will be disabled, expect reduced performance
        (prefer DRM radeon.o 1.3.x or newer)
        disabling TCL support
glxgears: radeon_ioctl.h:168: radeonAllocCmdBuf: Assertion `rmesa->dri.drmMinor >= 3' failed.
Abort

The XFree86.0.log seems just fine. (Yep, it starts with
XFree86 Version 4.2.0 (DRI trunk) / X Window System
!)
There are no errors there.

By the way, I saw this:

(II) RADEON(0): AGP Fast Write disabled by default

What is AGP Fast Write? I saw in my BIOS an option to turn this on. Is this useful?

One very good thing: it seems that the ghosting is a bit less now! I couldn't test with openGL programs (which caused the worst ghosting effects), but it seems that it is a bit less now... (dragging windows around is still causing some of the ghosting though...))

>>How can I tell what depth?
>
> xdpyinfo|grep 'depth of root'

It's 24 planes.

> BTW, I just recall experiencing color problems on the 7200 in the gf's
> Cube. Seems to be a radeonfb glitch which happens intermittently and
> randomly.

Well, I don't need fb anyway.

> I don't see anything unusual in the log. Does Option "HWcursor" make the
> problem go away?

Do I have to put that in the driver section?
I did so, but:

(II) RADEON(0): Using hardware cursor (scanline 4808)
(WW) RADEON(0): Option "HWcursor" is not used

According to my XFree86 log.
Note that the first line was also already in my original log, with the 4.2.1. drivers from Debian.

--
Grtjs, Manuel

PS: MSX FOR EVER! (Questions? http://faq.msxnet.org/ )
PPS: Visit my homepage at http://manuel.msxnet.org/