Re: userspace servers and /tmp/.X11-unix permissions/owners

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 03:09:26AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 04:04:19PM -0800, Chris Waters wrote:
> > So, when I tried to run startx, I got a complaint that the permissions
> > on /tmp/.X11-unix were "suspicious".  Turns out that the permissions
> > were fine ("drwxrwxrwt"), but the dir was owned by "aaron:aaron",
> > rather than "root:root".

> There's a different error message for that:

Interesting.  Neither of those messages seem right, but I'm going from
memory here.  I'll try to recreate the problem when I have a little time.

> > So, I was wondering: is there a reason that the XFree86 server can't
> > just chown the directory, in the case where the permissions are fine
> > but the owner is wrong?  Because otherwise, there seems to be an
> > impasse of sorts.

> Symlink attacks.

Dammit, that even makes sense.  Well, if this were C, I could devise
an easy workaround.  But since it's shell, I dunno.  I'll have to look
into it.  Crap.  Thanks.

cheers
--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single