Re: Pixmap corruption on 4.2.1-0pre1v1, powerpc r128

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 11:26:37PM +0200, Michel D?nzer wrote:
> > Various bits of the gnome2 panel leave visual artifacts (incomplete
> > redraws at the edges of pixmaps) as things slide around during the usual
> > login loading.
> >
> > Under uncertain conditions (it's hard to reproduce), window contents
> > vanish when opaque-moved (the backing region of the root window comes
> > along instead); some or all of the window decorations remain visible.
> > This seems to be associated with switching back to X from a console.
>
> These don't ring a bell, can you put up screenshots somewhere?

http://devin.com/cruft/xf4.2.1-pixmapquirks.png

The panel artifact is just outside the lower left corner of the pager.
Happens only on certain logins, but it's drawn (indirectly) with gtk2.

The terminal in the upper left came in completely empty (background is
configured as black).  The terminal in the lower right came in likewise
-- the black-background regions draw correctly after being occluded with
transients.

The window in the upper right is gimp 1.3's splash and load screen (gimp
1.3 links against gtk2).  On the first execution, the pixmap is missing
-- here it was stopped in mid-splash for a screenshot (during which time
the normal region in the upper left was occluded), resumed, then stopped
again for the one given here.  The unusual part is that after gimp has
exited, everything returns to normal -- new terminal windows come in
with their backgrounds, gimp gets its splash screen, etc.

I would be entirely willing to believe it's a bug in GTK, except that
KDE apps do it too:

http://devin.com/cruft/xf4.2.1-pixmapquirks-qt.png

(fresh login, ran the KDE bookmarks editor from the gnome panel's KDE
menu)

--
Devin  \ aqua(at)devin.com, 1024D/E9ABFCD2;  http://www.devin.com
Carraway \ IRC: Requiem  GCS/CC/L s-:--- !a !tv C++++$ ULB+++$ O+@ P L+++