Re: XF86config-4 overwritten

Please respect my mail headers.

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 09:10:31AM -0500, Bryan W. Headley wrote:
> You should only have it one of two ways: it overwrites the configuration
> file, but does so correctly,

Heh.  Sometimes there is no "correct" configuration.  Some cards simply
don't work under XFree86 4.x.  What then?

> or it assumes you are knowledgeable enough with vi to cook the
> XF86Config file. (I'm in the latter group, BTW)

In which you case you decline to let debconf manage your XF86Config-4
file.

> You can't have a tool that presents the veneer of knowing what it's
> doing clobbering stuff. It presents the same issue that people accuse
> rpm of having: it's not smart enough to do an upgrade correctly.

*shrug*  Whether I do so depends on whether people perceive a "veneer"
of the XFree86 X server supporting their video hardware.  Oftentimes
they assume it does.

> My opinion, worth $0.02: need to rig interaction with discover,
> Xautoconf, kudzu, or (tool du jour) to pre-populate answers, to do
> sanity check against debconf.

I'm going to be revamping the debconf stuff after I release 4.2.1-1.

In the meantime, patches are much more welcome than "scattershot"
griping.

For what it's worth, it's always fascinating when people argue
vehemently on behalf of the needs of a group whose needs they don't
share.  My Debconf setup for X has received a lot of praise from people
who are intimidated by the XF86Config-4 file; most of the people who
complain about it are those who aren't so intimidated.  So instead they
armchair my tool instead of being constructive.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Damnit, we're all going to die;
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    let's die doing something *useful*!