Re: XFree86 4.2.1 update release and Xlib security problem (fwd)

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 02:31:55PM +1000, Neale Banks wrote:
> Does this throw the proverbial spanner in the plans - or is it just a
> minor hiccup?

In my opinion, it's a minor hiccup at worst.

* No released version of Debian is vulnerable to this exploit.
* Not even Debian unstable is vulnerable, since XFree86 4.2.0 hasn't
  been released to it yet.
* Anyone using my pre-release .debs is potentially vulnerable.
* If you are alarmed by this, downgrade xlibs to 4.1.0-17.  You'll need
  to downgrade a few other packages as well.
* The impact of this vulnerability hasn't been established yet.
* Debian doesn't ship any setuid root X clients to my knowledge.
* Check the permissions and ownership on your screen locker programs,
  such as xlock and xscreensaver.
* As long as any privileged X clients aren't coded to exploit this
  vulnerability, there is no problem.  Setuid and setgid X clients
  should be carefully scruntinzed anyway.

This doesn't really disrupt my release plans at all.  The next
pre-release will be 4.2.1-0pre1v1 instead of 4.2.0-0pre1v5.

I knew about this vulnerability a couple of weeks ago, but was sworn to
secrecy.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    You should try building some of the
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    stuff in main that is