Re: A Radeon and X question, probably not Debian specific

"Charl P. Botha" <c.p.botha@its.tudelft.nl> writes:

> I had a look at your X output and all seems fine.  How many FPS does
> glxgears yield?  You have to run it for at least 5 seconds before it outputs
> something to stdout.

glxgears, in its default small size is about 500 fps, expanding the
window to full screen gets me 25 fps.  Xscreensaver's gears hack gets
about 5 fps running full screen.

On the advice of Michel Dänzer (thanks!) I added the debian dri-trunk
stuff, and got that working easily enough with the 1.4.0 20020714
Radeon drm driver, but it didn't make any difference.  Everything
appears to be working correctly, but gl stuff is very slow.  The only
error I get is [drm:radeon_freelist_get] *ERROR* returning NULL!
output from the drm driver.

As best I can tell, xinerama is disabled.  Starting X with +xinerama
put the xinerama enabled comment in the logfile, and disables dri, so
I used -xinerama to be safe, but that makes no difference.

If anybody has more advice, I would be interested in hearing it.
Thanks for the help so far.  Fortunately my next dual athlon is coming
with an $18 8mb ATI Mobility AGP card, which should be more than
adequate to run the server room display in text mode.

--
Jeff Lessem.