Connecting to a Beamer

[debian-x, please CC me as I am not subscribed]

Hi folks,

I need to connect my laptop (Latitude C610) to a not-so-modern beamer,
which supports displaying the 1024x768 screen of the desktop machine
sitting next to it. However, when I tell it to display my screen, it
simply says:

  Not available. H: 58.44Khz V: 53.5Hz

Ok, granted, I am trying to display 1400x1050, but I get the same
message when I tune my resolution to 1024x768 (I defined two screens
in XF86Config-4, one for the laptop, one for the beamer). Using
`startx -- -layout present` startx the 1024x768 version -- I've never
managed to get in-X resolution switching via a key combo to work.

Anyway, even at 1024x768 I get the above message, and yet I need to
connect to the beamer. I don't know what to do. I'd so appreciate if
some X-savvy person would help me out a little, you can get my
XF86Config-4 (for Branden's 4.2 packages on testing) here:

  ftp://ftp.madduck.net/pub/temp/XF86Config-4.gz (1203 octets)

I'd appreciate any tips!
Thanks,

"you raise the blade, you make the change
 you rearrange me till i'm sane.
 you lock the door, and throw away the key,
 there's someone in my head but it's not me."
                                                   -- pink floyd, 1972