Re: 4.2.0 pre1v1 debs, mouse stops working

On Sat, 20 Jul 2002, Michael Cardenas wrote:

> I've been working on installing woody, and I have a radeon mobility in
> my laptop, so x 4.1.0 wouldn't work for me. I mailed debian-devel with
> the details about this.
>
> So, I picked up your x 4.2.0 debs and I find that when I'm running X
> in twm or gnome, when doing certain mouse operations, my mouse just
> stops responding.

"certain mouse operations" - care to clarify?

> My /var/log/XFree86.0.log contains this, which might explain the problem:
>
> (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
> 	No such device.
> (EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device
> (EE) PreInit failed for input device "Generic Mouse"
> (II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
> (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
>
> but that device does exist:
>
> mbc@rilke:/tmp$ ls -la /dev/input/mice
> crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  63 Mar 14 13:54 /dev/input/mice
>
> So, is my xfree86 just improperly configured? Is there a bug in x that
> makes it not like my mouse, or one in the package that generates the
> xf86 config file?

When I did a clean install of 4.2.0 debs I too got a "Generic Mouse"
section that refered to /dev/input/mice (and I'm prety sure that I didn't
answer any questions in such a way as to suggest this).

Figuring that it was irrelevant, I commented out this bit of the config
and made sure that my "Configured Mouse" was a reasonable reflection of
reality.

What does your "Configured Mouse" section look like, what kind of mouse do
you have and how's it connected?

> For comparison, using lindows with the same debs, my mouse works fine.
> I tried using the XFConfig-4 from lindows, and that didn't help the
> problem. Lindows does use the 2.4.18 kernel though, but I'm not sure
> that is significant.

Does it have teh same mouse configuration?

HTH,
Neale.