Re: xdm 4.2.0pre1v1 troubles

xdm isn't configured from XF86Config-4. If X is actually running via
"startx," you need to look elsewhere to get xdm to behave itself. It
has its own configuration files in /etc/X11/xdm/. I don't use it, so
I'm not sure if it is broken in a configuration kind of way, or in
some more serious way.

Whenever I've seen behavior like that from xdm, it's been because it
was attempting to invoke a startup script that doesn't exist, doesn't
have proper permissions or has the wrong ownership. It's also possible
that the startup script is invoking something (a window manager or
desktop system) that is dumping core or otherwise misbehaving. If
that's the case, you are effectively logging out as soon as you log
in.

One way to fix/test this is to configure xdm such that it invokes
~/.xinitrc, and start your environment of choice from that (it might
do something like that by default, but I can't remember). With gdm,
you can create a file /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/xinitrc that contains:

#!/bin/sh

exec $HOME/.xinitrc

kdm allows you to do something similar by editing the appropriate
configuration file.

The critical thing in all cases is that .xinitrc must actually
_work_. If it doesn't, you'll just get bounced back to the login
screen.

Hope that at least points you in the right direction.

Russell