Re: Why XFree86 4.2 Isn't in Woody

Dear Branden,

I really don't think it's too bad a decision.

4.1.0 is the stablest release we've had in the ``N'' branch (3.9.*,
4.*); of the versions of XFree86 that I'm familiar with, I think only
3.3.6 comes anywhere close in terms of stability.

While there is a significant amount of new functionality in 4.2.0,
much of that is experimental, and therefore not significant for people
who're not willing to install from unstable.  As to people who need
support for newer hardware -- well, tough, let them use the VESA driver.

                                        Juliusz