Re: Possible binary problem in current X release

On Fre, 2002-12-20 at 23:47, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
> Michel Dänzer schrieb:
>
> >On Fre, 2002-12-20 at 08:40, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
> >
> >>I think i found a binary error in the current X4.2 Debain distri:
> >>
> >>I get a symbol missmatch when i use the "s3" driver. Before Debian released
> >>X4.2 debs i used the precompiled native XFree86 4.2 version. I had n
> >>
> >>problems with that one (also with the s3 driver).
> >
> >The server seems to work though? Unresolved symbols usually aren't a
> >problem.
> >
> No, the server does NOT run. It terminates with this error.

What error? It doesn't fail due to the unresolved symbol, in fact the
log doesn't show any error that would cause the server to fail. It looks
like the server works perfectly, if it terminates immediately that's
probably a problem with the client(s).

> >>Please check if this is an error on my side cause i need that driver and i
> >>don't want to use the brute-force method (copying the native X Version over
> >>the Debian one) again.
> >
> >You never have to do that, you can always put an alternative
> >installation in /usr/local and set ModulePath etc. accordingly.
> >
> Of course I can do that but i don't want to. Why are there debian packs
> if i schould use native ones?

Absolutely, that's why I pointed out why you never have to trash the
packages.