Re: woody : X install

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 05:21:00PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 05:21:00PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > Speaking with my Debian Desktop hat on, I would prefer it if you took
> > the approach of just trying what the autodetection tools said, and only
> > if that fails, offer the user a choice of options.
>
> The Debconf spec won't let me do that.  If DEBIAN_PRIORITY is "low", I
> need to grind to a halt and wait for the user to confirm, e.g., the usage
> of the "XFree86" server and "tdfx" driver for his Voodoo3 3000 card.

If DEBIAN_PRIORITY is "low", then this is exactly what the user is asking
for.  They want to see everything, even questions that have an appropriate
default.

> > If the autodetection tools give incorrect information, then that's a bug
> > in those tools we should fix.  If the X server doesn't get enough
> > information from the autodetection tools, then we should fix that.
>
> I agree, but there is simply no way to completely eliminate the
> interactivity, *even if* the autodetection tools work perfectly, and still
> play the Debconf game.

Anyone who is bewildered by technical questions should have their priority
set to high.  Nearly everything should be non-interactive at that point,
unless something goes wrong.

--
 - mdz