Re: woody : X install

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 05:21:00PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-10-21 at 13:54, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > I'll be rewriting it from scratch over the coming months and trying to
> > work out a strategy for letting the user select between up to three
> > sources of information:
> >
> > 1) what the autodetection tools (if any) say
> > 2) what the debconf database already says (if anything)
> > 3) what the X server config file already says (if anything)
>
> Speaking with my Debian Desktop hat on, I would prefer it if you took
> the approach of just trying what the autodetection tools said, and only
> if that fails, offer the user a choice of options.

The Debconf spec won't let me do that.  If DEBIAN_PRIORITY is "low", I
need to grind to a halt and wait for the user to confirm, e.g., the
usage of the "XFree86" server and "tdfx" driver for his Voodoo3 3000
card.

> If the autodetection tools give incorrect information, then that's a
> bug in those tools we should fix.  If the X server doesn't get enough
> information from the autodetection tools, then we should fix that.

I agree, but there is simply no way to completely eliminate the
interactivity, *even if* the autodetection tools work perfectly, and
still play the Debconf game.

If we want to discuss this more we should move over to debian-x.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     It's not a matter of alienating
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     authors.  They have every right to