Xvesa and VBE [was: m68k buildd's without ...]

JL> vesa one is vesa 1, i.e. vbe, afaik, so it works in lots of places
JL> where vesafb doesn't.

Just to be pedantic: Xvesa does work on anything that has either VBE
1.2 or later, or a VGA BIOS, or an EGA BIOS.  (It has been tested on a
plain EGA chipset by a friendly sysadmin from Sverdlovsk.)

Xvesa can also switch modes, which is useful if you've only got
monochrome modes in the higher resolutions.

JL> even on some twisted videoboards that don't even work with their
JL> original (windows) dirvers.

As far as I am aware, Xvesa should work on any Intel machine you'll
find except if it has an original Hercules chipset.

(We have never seen a VBE earlier than 1.2, but if you've got one and
are willing to do the testing, I'll be glad to write the code.  CGA,
anyone?)

                                        Juliusz