Re: Xv freeze with xserver 4.2.1-0pre1v1

> Please check
> http://www.xfree86.org/pipermail/xpert/2002-September/020902.html - is
> that what you see too?

     - load a mpeg and select double-size
     - play the video to the end
     - select "stop", video is reset to start
     - toggle from double-size to standard and back to double-size
     - attempt to start playing again
     - machine is crashed

Hmm, bit of a long routine, that one.  No, that didn't crash it.  At least,
not from my interpretation of those instructions.  Killing gtv by clicking
the close button on its window decoration /did/ crash it, but that's almost
to be expected, given that it involves gtv exiting fairly ungracefully.
(And there's some other problems that I'd bug report if I actually used gtv,
but they're GUI problems.)

     [3] The display is garbled too - just now it was thin vertical lines
     of different shades of blue, but mostly it's blocks (squares) of
     different colours.

No, this is not what I get at all.  The display simply freezes on whatever
it was doing last, but with the xv area blacked out.  For example, with
mplayer in fullscreen mode, the film might finish and then the mousepointer
is the only thing visible.  But with it in windowed mode, the film will
finish, the window goes blank, and the rest of my X session looks the same
as it should do.

Just today I managed to crash it switching from fullscreen to windowed, and
the window decorations and toolbar weren't redrawn - they were just
white/blue (blue for border on the right, white for what was the active part
of the display.  The same areas can be seen by doing a screenshot with xwd
and dragging the resulting xwud image around, but this is probably
irrelevant).

Now this brings up too further bugs that I had originally suspected mplayer
of being responsible for.

1) - The blue line down the right-hand side of the window/screen.  Not
really a problem, but could do with ironing out.
2) - When the image being displayed is wider than 384 pixels, the right-hand
side is displayed incorrectly.  The last 4-pixel column inside of the
384-pixel section is just repeated for the rest of it, eg.

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

appears as

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvvvvv

> Have we got the same problem?

I don't *think* my crash is the same as your crash.  Different testcases
required *and* different symptoms afterwards.  Though I could be wrong, as
we don't have exactly the same graphics card.

Do you have either of my other problems, though?  (The blue bar, and the
repeating image when width > 384)

> HTH,

It certainly does help with the two minor bugs, thankyou.  And it might get
me somewhere with the crashing too.  Now I know it's not just mplayer, I'll
try writing a small program that can demonstrate the problem without needing
to read movie files.   I might end up taking this upstream to the X
developers, but I don't have the disk space to compile X, or the CPU power
to do so more than once a day.

Glyn

--
Can I buy a drink here, or are you just going to throw limes at me?