Re: RandR missing from pre1v3

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 03:30:43PM -0300, John Lenton wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I downloaded -pre1v3, and tried it against my ATI Radeon 64MB DDR
> VIVO, with mixed results:
>
> - DRI worked (that's up from the last time I looked :)

Glad to hear it.

> - X took a long time to start ("long" in comparison, nothing
> serious, i.e. a several seconds longer than usual), and my
> monitor seemed to loose sync (it put itself into DPMS suspend
> mode).

Hmm.  Not sure what's going on there.  Does this change if you turn off
the "vbe" module?

> - the RandR extension isn't supported by the Radeon driver.
[...]
> Is there any reason RandR isn't being included? AFAICT it isn't
> in any of the servers (if that's so, why include xrandr -- the
> program -- at all?).

The XFree86 X server requires some re-architecting at the dix (Device
Independent X, i.e., not specific hardware drivers) level to support
RandR.  As I understand it, another layer of indirection needs to be
added so that the root window can be virtualized.  The RandR extension
provides a changing viewport onto that virtual root window.

Keith Packard has the beginnings of this work done but I don't think we
can expect it for XFree86 4.3.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Build a fire for a man, and he'll
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    be warm for a day.  Set a man on