Re: trident noise

On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 05:27:53PM +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> Yep.  Try adding ``Option "PciRetry" "true"'' to your Device section.
> Upstream is trying to be benchmark- rather than user-friendly.
>
> (To expand on that: the XFree86 4 client scheduler specially optimises
> the case of a single client.  That only happens when benchmarking.)

Hmph.

Well, as a package maintainer for a distribution, I care a lot more
about users having machines that don't lock up than I do about
benchmarks.

Do you happen to know where I can reverse this default in the X server?

Hmm, actually, looking at the sources, I don't see anyplace where this
option defaults to "on" on a server-wide basis.  Only specific drivers
appear to be cognizant of this option and, typically, they don't even
consistently call it by the same name internally:

drivers/siliconmotion/smi_driver.c:                     pSmi->NoPCIRetry = FALSE;
drivers/trident/trident_driver.c:           pTrident->UsePCIRetry = FALSE; /* Not Supported */

So which upstream is the problem?  The Trident driver author?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       Psychology is really biology.
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       Biology is really chemistry.