Re: mouse pointer shift

On Sat, 2002-08-17 at 08:46, Dave Eidson wrote:
> On Saturday 17 August 2002 00:34, Russell Neches wrote:
>
> > I should probably add that the problem does go away if I disable the
> > hardware cursor. I've been led to believe that this is a "bad thing."
> > Is it? If software cursors suck in some subtle way, I won't be in
> > front of this computer often enough to know fist hand.

In contrast to the hardware cursor, the software cursor takes up CPU and
graphics card resources. The cursor may flicker when it's in a screen
area which is being refreshed. Otherwise it should be the same though.

> I posted the same problem a short time ago as well, and disabling the
> hardware cursor did help the problem, but didn't fix it completely.
> It's so very intermittent that's it's hard to tell if a tweak has changed
> anything, but with hw_cursor disabled, the right shift will suddenly
> correct itself as quicky as it started.

Have you verified the software cursor is acutally being used? If the
problem occurs with the software cursor, that would mean it's a bug in
the hardware independent cursor code, but all reports of such problems
on the Xpert list I've seen were hardware (driver) problems which were
100% fixed with software cursor.