ATI RADEON 8500 problem on testing :-(

A couple of months ago I purchased a system from
http://www.laclinux.com with an ATI RADEON 8500 DDR
card.  (My experience with them has, this current
problem notwithstanding, been very good.)  Their
installation notes described custom tweaks that were
necessary to my Debian install to support my video
card.

I filed that away, and went on to enjoy my new
computer.  Until this morning when I rebooted after
an upgrade against testing over the weekend caused part
of my X11 installation to be upgraded.  After the reboot
my card was no longer supported or recognized. :-(

I had to go to work, so I have not had time to find
their installation notes (which, IIRC, described both
a kernel patch which will be in 2.4.19 and something
specific about drivers), or to try fixing the problem.
When I get home, does anyone have specific suggestions
for where I should start?  (I have sent a similar
message to laclinux.)

Thanks,
Ben
Download the free Opera browser at http://www.opera.com/