could not open default cursor font 'cursor'

Hi Folks

I just had the Linux on my laptop crash for the first time
in many many months.

I am running the latest unstable on this box which gets
updated every day. The machine had an uptime of about 5 days.

Now I can't get the xserver up and running again and I am
somehow stumped with the error that I find in the XFree86.0.log:

Fatal server error:
could not open default cursor font 'cursor'

Does anybody have an idea what this could be ?

This is with the current NVidia driver 2960.

Cheers
   Mike

PS: If anybody wants to take a look at the full log, it can be found at
    http://www.uni-mainz.de/~neuffer/XFree86.0.log