Re: 4.2 install report

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 09:49:56AM -0400, Thatcher Ulrich wrote:
> On Jun 27, 2002 at 11:40 -0400, Thatcher Ulrich wrote:
> > On Jun 27, 2002 at 10:05 -0400, Thatcher Ulrich wrote:
> > >
> > > BTW, can someone quickly explain what I do to try the new version of
> > > the package?  I'm a Debian newbie, so I only really understand the
> > > basics of dselect/aptitude.
>
> OK, I fiddled around endlessly and discovered that the x-window-system
> and x-window-system-core packages do not automatically pull in the
> 4.2.0 version of xserver-xfree86, on my system.  Probably an APT
> configuration thing, like I said I'm new to Debian.

Hmm, I'm not sure what packages you're using:

Package: x-window-system-core
Section: x11
Installed-Size: 120
Maintainer: Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
Source: xfree86
Version: 4.2.0-0pre1v1
Depends: xserver-xfree86, xlibmesa3, xfonts-base (>> 4.0), xfonts-100dpi, xfonts-75dpi, xfonts-scalable, xbase-clients, xutils

> So I successfully got the new stuff by grabbing xserver-xfree86.
>
> Good news -- seems to be working here, and, the bug that has been
> annoying me the most is fixed!  On my Trident CyberBlade-equipped
> laptop, with 4.1.0-17 and prior, when I switched back to X from a
> console, the screen would go all "melted" white (like it had the wrong
> refresh rate).

FYI, this LCD phenomenon is called "blooming".  It's generally
considered a bad thing, and when it happens you should try to stop it by
any means necessary.  Take the box down hard if you have to.

> With 4.2.0-0pre1v1, it works great!
>
> Thank you, XF86 developers & Debian maintainers!

Glad to hear it!

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Optimists believe we live in the
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    best of all possible worlds.