Re: 4.2 install report

On Jun 27, 2002 at 11:40 -0400, Thatcher Ulrich wrote:
> On Jun 27, 2002 at 10:05 -0400, Thatcher Ulrich wrote:
> >
> > BTW, can someone quickly explain what I do to try the new version of
> > the package?  I'm a Debian newbie, so I only really understand the
> > basics of dselect/aptitude.

OK, I fiddled around endlessly and discovered that the x-window-system
and x-window-system-core packages do not automatically pull in the
4.2.0 version of xserver-xfree86, on my system.  Probably an APT
configuration thing, like I said I'm new to Debian.

So I successfully got the new stuff by grabbing xserver-xfree86.

Good news -- seems to be working here, and, the bug that has been
annoying me the most is fixed!  On my Trident CyberBlade-equipped
laptop, with 4.1.0-17 and prior, when I switched back to X from a
console, the screen would go all "melted" white (like it had the wrong
refresh rate).  With 4.2.0-0pre1v1, it works great!

Thank you, XF86 developers & Debian maintainers!

--
Thatcher Ulrich
http://tulrich.com