Re: Default X background.

On Sun, 28 Apr 2002, Branden Robinson wrote:

>> But changing it to something else is certainly possible: I did not detect
>> consensus on the xpert list of what to change it to, however.
>
>I think if there were:
>
>1) support for setting the root window to a solid color on startup via a
>command-line option (and possibly via an XF86Config file flag)
>
>and
>
>2) some borrowing of the Xsun splash screen code along with instructions
>on how to make your X server use a given image file
>
>...most people would be pretty happy.  Of course, 2) is pretty
>gratuitous if you can just use 1) to set the root window to a solid
>color like black or white, and then let the client side worry about
>splash screens.  I mention 2) only because Xsun users have been spoiled
>by it.
>
>I don't know how color specification would be done.  If I recall
>correctly all of X's fancy colorspace stuff is on the client side.
>(CMS?)

Both of these ideas sound fantastic.  I myself have considered
such, but haven't had time to play with it.  I whipped up the
patch in my previous mail many months ago, and added it to our
development builds.  I got back several bug reports and
complaints from people who use it as their default desktop
(believe it or not) and now had a black desktop which they found
horrible.  I disabled the patch in my builds with a "come back to
this again later" thought.

It'd be great to have the extensions listed above as both
commandline options and config file options.

--
Mike A. Harris                  Shipping/mailing address:
OS Systems Engineer             190 Pittsburgh Ave., Sault Ste. Marie,