Re: Help needed, TDFX [Re: Release-critical Bugreport for March 23, 2001]

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 03:15:25PM -0800, Alexander Hvostov wrote:
> I have this problem too. After a while, X freezes while running _any_ OpenGL
> application. This means blender, GL screen savers, GL xmms plugins, etc.

I'll assume you're running XFree4 since you didn't say otherwise.

X freezes like this for me quite frequently.  Branden claimed it was a
kernel bug some months ago, but that was fixed and it still dies.  A
number of things cause it, but I never knew DRI to be one of them.
Mozilla caused my uptimes to be measured in hours rather than weeks under
recent XFree4 packages.  With my new card (ATI Radeon) it's changing video
modes (which anyone who has seen me work in X knows I spend 30% of my time
in 640x480 or lower due to unreadably small, aliased fonts in things like
Netscape..)

The problem seems to be in short that damned near anything will cause X to
lock up and stop responding.  A suggestion to make your life a little
easier is to renice XFree86 to 0.  For some reason it gets -10 by default
amd that's just pleading for a lockup to down the box if you don't have a
convenient box to ssh in and fix it.

> The only way to recover from this is to login to the machine over the network,
> kill -9 X, and restart it (which, in my case, is done by gdm). However, doing
> this causes the text mode console to become totally screwed up; attempting to
> switch to the console works except that the display is still in graphics mode
> (with whatever X drew on the screen). This display doesn't get repainted,
> since all the software (the kernel and X) thinks the display is in text mode,
> but it really isn't. Switching back to X works fine though (ie, it repaints
> the screen and otherwise behaves normally).

You can fix this by using the framebuffer console for your card.  Except
that most framebuffer drivers are not quite stable (like XFree4 it would
seem) and very slow.

> For this reason, I've disabled DRI on my system until this problem gets fixed.
> It would be nice to have it fixed, since applications like blender get really
> slow without it...
>
> My hardware is a Creative 3D Blaster Banshee. The chip is 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee,
> PCI revision 3, part/serial/whatever number CT6760, 16 MB SDRAM on-board. It's
> attached to PCI (as you might have guessed).
>
> Because the freezes seem totally unpredictable (except of course that a GL
> application is running at the time of the freeze), I find this bug difficult
> to reproduce.

I can reproduce it with XawTV, Ctrl-Alt-Grey+, and any DRI app which uses
the VidMode extension.  I can also do it with anything that creates shaped
windows frequently (the OSD plugin for XMMS for example or some window
manager themes)  In short, it's really easy to get X to freeze.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>                Free software developer

<Kethryvis> Gruuk: UFies are above and beyond the human race :)