Re: XVideo failures with Voodoo3 Xfree86-4.0.2

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 09:30:21PM -0600, Jason Pearce wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> 	I have been lurking on the list archive here for a while and have found a
> lot of usefull information. Kudos to you all. I have not however found
> an answer to my current problem. I am currently unable to get the xv
> extension to work.
>
> What I mean is this. The XVideo Extension is shown loaded when I run
> xdpyinfo. When I run a program that try to use it, such as omi_gtk, a
> display window is shown for an instant and then the program segfaults
> claiming a shared memory error. I understand that the DRI projects CVS
> version has xv support for the Voodoo3. However, I believe that that
> requires also compiling and using thier kernel module. That wouldn't
> really be a problem by itself, but I prefer running straight Debian in
> so far as possible. Anyway, could it be possible that I need to compile
> and install a kernel module from Braden's patched X sources to get this
> to work?

The tdfx module in 2.4.0 is functionally the same as the one in DRI
(which has been rewritten for style reasons, roughly). The significant
difference in DRI CVS is the other side --- the XFreee86 tdfx
driver. Certainly this gives much faster 3D, I don't know about xv.

I've been vaguely considering building DRI-based XFree packages, but I
don't know when I'll have time; if anyone else does have time, that
would be cool.

Jules