Re: [Xpert]X default fg and bg colors

On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 09:43:01PM -0500, twoerner@ica.net wrote:
> On Thursday 25 January 2001 23:53, ha shao wrote:
> > A user reported that on arm710 platform, the default foreground
> > color of an window is not set. Only background color is set.
>
> what do you mean by "foreground colour ... is not set"? it would have
> to be *something* even if it is garbage. is it "not set" or is it that
> both foreground and background colours are set to white?

His description is that 'text draw without set the foreground
color will not show.' I take it that the foreground color is
the same as the background color for a new window.

> my first exposure to X was using a product called MachTen several years
> ago, which was (is) a BSD-based system. i noticed then that my
> foreground and background colours would start off being set to white.

Something like this.

> > Either the default foreground should be set or not is not important.
> > But this inconsistent behavior is very confusing both to users and
> > programmers.
>
> although well known, most programmers don't normally rely on global
> variables in c being zeroed. regardless of what the docs say, if you
> want a foreground of black and a background of white it's probably
> always safer to set them explicitly.

It's true. But it is still confusing when an unsuspected user
see the same application works on one architect but not on another
one. In this case, the user spent a lot of time on X font, font
server, endianness, alignment...to find a clue.

Either the default is set or not, the behavior should be consistent,
for all Xfree86 system or Debian system. I want to know where this
is set and if it is Debian specific.

--
Best regard
hashao