Re: ctrl-alt-F11

On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 02:21:17PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 01:11:00AM +0100, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> > Hi,
> > On my i386 box I run two X servers, one on vt9 (24-bit) and one on vt10
> > (16-bit). From time to time I press the wrong function key when changeing
> > servers, like ctrl-alt-F11. ctrl-alt-F11 immediately causes the machine to
> > completely lockup, clocks stop, can't kill the X server, even the MagicSysRQ
> > key does not work anymore, can not log in via the network. Is this exspected
> > behaviour or did I manage to configure something wrong?
>
> Yuck.  Sounds very nasty indeed.
>
> This could be a kernel bug, or it could be the X server freaking out and
> trashing the bus.
>
> All I can suggest is mouting you /var parition with the "sync" flag,
> reproducing this problem, and then seeing if the X server issued a death
> scream of some sort to the logfile.
Tried that again, nothing to see in the logfiles.

> Otherwise I suggest you take this inquiry to xpert@xfree86.org; it's a bit
> beyond me.
Oh, I forgot about that one, maybe I will get an answer on that question.

But maybe Zephaniah E. Hull could explain this:
> This is really not all that surprising, what video card is it?
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^? still an ATI Mach64 RagePro
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro AGP 1X/2X (rev 5c)

Christian